Siriraj Center of Research Excellence in Allergy & Immunology (SiCORE Allergy & Immunology) was established in 2017 with the aim to promote excellence in clinical care and higher education through quality research and innovation. The team members include multidisciplinary healthcare professionals from otorhinolaryngology, pediatrics, and internal medicine subspecialties. The other mission is to help local and international doctors advance their studies, so we offer an MS and PhD program in Biodesign in Medicine, as well as Fellowship Training in Rhinology and Allergy, and Allergy and Immunology in relevant departments.
SiCORE Allergy & Immunology’s significant research and innovation.
- The intranasal cockroach allergy immunotherapy was developed to find the non-injection alternative for allergen-specific immunotherapy. After receiving GMP certification and patent, the product is currently under the process of a first-in-human (FIH) clinical trial.
- The Diagnostic test kit for aero allergy, which consists of the 8 common allergens, has been endorsed by the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and released on the market.
- House dust mite allergen vaccine for subcutaneous injection was also endorsed by the Thai FDA. It is the only option for allergic treatment with the ability to ‘cure’ the allergic diseases, especially allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma, and atopic dermatitis.
- The development of component-resolved diagnostics (CRD) which allows clinicians to identify real allergen sensitization and helps to differentiate between cross-reactivity and co-sensitization. The component identification is also beneficial for the future development of recombinant allergen immunotherapy, which is a new trend in allergic treatment.
- The Siriraj Dust Mite Center, Asia’s only dust mite center, is well known for producing the highest quality pure mite bodies in the world. The center offers services on dust mite production for research, dust analysis, anti-dust mite product test and research design on dust mite study.
The first allergy organization center of ASEAN
Until recently, 4 Patents and 7 Petty Patents related to cockroach and dust mite allergy and allergen extract have been issued to SiCORE Allergy & Immunology, along with 2 FDA-approved products (Therapeutic house dust mite vaccine and Allergen extract for diagnostic purposes). Additionally, in February this year, The World Allergy Organization (WAO), an international umbrella organization whose members consist of 103 regional and national allergology and clinical immunology societies, endorsed SiCORE Allergy & Immunology as a Center of Excellence (COE) for the term 2022-2024. To become the first COE in ASEAN and the 4th in Asia (after China, Japan, and South Korea), we can collaborate with other COE to provide scientific support and educational resources on a global scale. Furthermore, we could form international partnerships for research and education activities.
Although it appears that we are on the right track, we will continue to improve and learn from our mistakes as we progress toward great success. We always keep in mind that our ultimate goal is to transform health care services, not just to finish our research projects!